From Step 1 you have got a domain name registered with GoDaddy. Now you need to link same domain name with ElasticBeansTalk endpoint from Step 2.
- Login to your GoDaddy account and go to “Manage My Domains” tool.
- On domains page, you will find your registered domain name entry. In front of domain name you will find a drop down like show below. Click on Manage DNS option.
- Go to DNS Zone File Tab and under CNAMES update the entry of www from @ to firstwebsite-c6vwyk5gty.elasticbeanstalk.com. Save the changed setting.
- Now go to Settings Tab and click on Forwarding->Domain->Manage link.
- Add a new forwarding by populating forward to field with http://www.myfirstwebsite.com and selecting redirect type as 301 (Permanent).
- In Forward Settings Select “Forward Only” and save the entry here.
It takes around 15 minutes to reflect the changes completed about in DNS setting. You will now be able to open your domain http://www.myfirstwebsite.com, http://myfirstwebsite.com and see content coming from firstwebsite-c6vwyk5gty.elasticbeanstalk.com endpoint.
Although, there are other ways also by selecting option “Forwarding With Masking” but that will bring the site content in a frame which usually is not the best way.
You need to think of a domain name for your website. For example: http://www.google.com, http://www.facebook.com.(Can’t buy these as they are already taken 🙂 )
You can think of any domain name which goes with your requirements and is available to buy. Search for available domains names at domain registering sites. Example: http://www.godaddy.com.
You need to purchase the domain. This is the only investment you will be doing while publishing your own website. Although, if you don’t want to spend any money at this point of time that is completely fine. You can publish website for free with AWS free tier but the domain name will look like xyz-abfbck.elasticbeanstalk.com. In this blogs series, I am assuming the domain is registered through GoDaddy if at all registered.
Let’s discuss about how to host your own website and start adding new features step by step over a period of time.
In very simple terms hosting a website requires 2 steps:
A) Step1: Get a domain name, through which user will be able to access your website by entering domain name in the browser. Example http://www.google.com, http://www.facebook.com
B) Step2: Start a server which will basically contain the content you want to display to the user.
Final step is to link domain name with the server.